AI Zone Admin Forum Add your forum

NEWS: Chatbots.org survey on 3000 US and UK consumers shows it is time for chatbot integration in customer service!read more..

How to jump to another topic?

Hello,

I am new to chatscript and I wanted to ask a few specific questions regarding “how to manage the flow of the conversation”

1. This is an important one: I don’t know how to hard code the flow of a part of the conversation. In particular: I don’t know how to make the bot jump to another topic when a particular answer has been given USING gambit.

Look at the following code:

topic: ~firsttopic keep (~concept1)

u: () Something something
 a
: (~conceptAFirst Option. ^gambitsecondtopic )

a: (~conceptBSecond Option. ^gambitthirdtopic )

topic: ~secondtopic keep ()

topic: ~thirdtopic keep () 

I would like the second a: to make the bot jump straight to ~thirdtopic. As it stands, it would go to ~secondtopic instead.
So far, I think I’ve made it work using variables - so that it checks if a variable exists and is not null in order to be allowed to move on to another topic.

topic: ~firsttopic keep (~concept1)

u: () Something something
 a
: (~conceptA$answer1 _0 First Option. ^gambitsecondtopic )

a: (~conceptB$answer2 _0 Second Option. ^gambitthirdtopic )

topic: ~secondtopic keep (~answer1)

topic: ~thirdtopic keep (~answer2

However, I would not like it do it that way. I would like to “hard code” transitions to another topic using gambit. I have tried in many ways but it does not work. I could not get anything out of the documentation either.

Is that actually possible? If so, how do I do this?

[ # 1 ]

Did you try the example in the advanced user manual, around page 28

u: ( some test ) I like fruit and vegetables. ^reuse(COMMON) And so do you.

and page 54

u: SELF (where * you * live) ^disable(RULE SELF) ^reuse(HOUSE)

here is something close:

“Now, suppose you want to notice that you already told the user about the house
so if he asks again you can say something like: You forgot? I live in a small
house. How can you do that. One way to do that is to set a user variable from
HOUSE and test it from the responder.”

t: HOUSE () I live in a small house $house = 1

u: ( where * you * live ) [$house You forgot?] ^reuse(HOUSE)

[ # 2 ]

You mean this? http://chatscript.sourceforge.net/Documentation/ChatScript User Manual.pdf

I know about using variables as conditions.

What I am asking is:

How would I jump from topic: to topic: using something like ^gabmit? I use ^reuse to jump from u: to u: (or u: to t: and so on). Gambit does not work for this. In fact, gambit does not work for me at all. Maybe I’ve understood what ^gambit() is supposed to do.
So far, I’ve defined multiple topics. Each one is “sort of” initiated by checking if a variable has been instantiated (and is not null). I could just instantiate multiple variables so the bot cannot activate a topic unless a certain variable is not null.

Example:

topic: ~XYtopic keep (~variableXY[]

t
: (~variableXY) .... 

This topic is not “launched” unless the bot has been at the point where ~variableXY receives ANY value. Fair enough, but do I really have to do it this way? Is there not a better alternative?

[ # 3 ]

Your illustrated code uses ^gambit but does not use a topic name. topic names ALWAYS begin with ~

[ # 4 ]

So far, I think I’ve made it work using variables - so that it checks if a variable exists and is not null in order to be allowed to move on to another topic.

topic: ~firsttopic keep (~concept1)

u: () Something something
a: (~conceptA) $answer1 = _0 First Option. ^gambit( secondtopic )
a: (~conceptB) $answer2 = _0 Second Option. ^gambit( thirdtopic )

This code does not check if a variable exists.  the $answer1 = _0 has no meaning or real effect here

[ # 5 ]

As for the ~: I’ve got it both ways (a fewtimes with ~ and a few times without. I’ve just tested this and in some instances ~ is missing, that’s why I thought it didnt work.
Next thing I’ll do is refactor code and make it look less like noodle code. Sorry.

I have another question, which is sort of to confirm if my observations are correct:

Look at the folliwng code:

topic: ~generictopic keep  []

t
: ($var1Hello

u
: () What do you want

I’ve got it like this a few times in my current project. I would like to ask to make sure I know what I’m doing:

1. The bot does not say “Hello” in this topic unless the variable $var1 actually exists, right?
2. If t: is not triggered then the following u: canot be reached either (with the way it is in my example), right?

[ # 6 ]

#1   true.  $var1 must be defined
#2 u: is unrelated to t: —a topic is entered either in gambit mode or responder mode. the rules are on unrelated paths

[ # 7 ]

for your gambit(xxx) questions, best thing to do is :trace all and then give your input and see what the trace says

[ # 8 ]

Thank you!

I have yet another, very basic question. CTRL+F through the tutorials and manual did not help -

How do i terminate Chatbot when, say a certain topic is reached?

[ # 9 ]

What does it mean to “terminate a chatbot”?  Do you mean to refuse to talk to some user anymore?

You can detect you have some specific user and just keep sending back nothing to them.

login or register to react